Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Meet the Real You

How well do you know yourself?

I always loved the outdoors. Every chance I had to run around in the wilderness, I took it. Every opportunity I had to hike, ride a bike, go fishing, or pursue some form or another of outdoor recreation I took it.

By the time I was twelve years old I knew that I wanted to specialize in the fly fishing business and make that my living. My plan was to tie flies, build fly rods, teach fly fishing and fly tying, guide, and write books and articles about it.

I was very lucky, it seems. I work with people every day who have no idea, whatsoever, what they would really LOVE to do if given the choice. How is that possible?

What Are Your Passions?


Do you have any passions-- things you truly love to do? What do you do for recreation? Do you have any hobbies? When you have "play time" what do you like to do? If you could turn one of those things into a way to make a living, would you do it?

Figuring out what it is that you would love to do for a living is the secret to life-long success. It helps you establish goals. It gives you direction. When you engage in something you truly love to do you have the highest probability of becoming successful in your field. Passion is the key. 

Passion makes all of your hard work worth it. When your work pays off and your goals have been met, your dream job has become a reality, then work is play. You don't hate waking up in the morning. Work doesn't feel like work at all.

If you could do anything you wanted, pick any occupation at all, leaving money out of the decision-making process, what would you choose?

Now, ask yourself, How can I turn this into money?

And Remember...

Measure success by accomplishment, not by money. Money buys convenience, but accomplishment buys satisfaction.