Monday, May 14, 2018

Cycling for Fun and Fitness

I love cycling. I ride primarily for fun and fitness. It's the best workout plan for me, but I recommend it for everyone.

It's no secret that most people who join a neighborhood gym are gung-ho at first, but, not long afterward, working out becomes too much like work and people slowly slip into their previous routine of slothful behavior, not enough sleep, and devouring junk food. The weight they wanted to lose or the fitness level they wanted to reach becomes more distant with each day that passes.

I recommend cycling because having fun is not at all like working out.

If you love to engage in some outdoor pursuit that can keep you fit you will stay in shape the rest of your life, provided that you do it frequently. Cycling, swimming, and hiking are three examples. There are lots more.

It seems that for several years I have bought a new bike each spring and sold it very late in the year, after the riding season is over. Well, I plan to change that this year. I just bought a new bike a couple of weeks ago and I intend to swap the cheaper components that came on it with high-quality, race-worthy parts instead of what the manufacturer put on this frame.

Here it is...


This is a Fuji Sportif 2.5 (the cheapest of that model series).

I bought the Fuji 2.5 for the frame because it is the same exact frame quality as their top-of-the-line model, but, it has cheaper, heavier components. I just loved the color and none of the models produced this year had the component package I wanted anyway.

I plan to change the derailleurs, shifters, brakes, crankset, rear cassette, chain, and bottom bracket with a custom-picked set of parts of racing caliber. All I needed was the frame. Now, I will start swapping the factory-supplied parts with those I'd really love to have and build the bike I really wanted.

When I am done, this twenty-three pound bike will weigh about twenty pounds and will provide years of dependable service.

For the average rider, this bike is good enough. But I am a long-distance rider and plan to ride thousands of miles on this bike. I'll be using this bicycle as the center of my over-all fitness regimen. I want it to last the rest of my life.

By the end of this summer I hope to have made all of the parts swaps I am planning and I'll be riding this bike on the trainer over the coming winter.

I highly recommend riding a bicycle if you want to have fun and enjoy good health and fitness. Pedal on...