Sunday, January 29, 2017

Well, You Know What They Say...


"You know what they say..."

'It's like they say..."

"Well, they say..."

Who are "they"?

Sayings come and go, but one of the most puzzling, to me, is "You know what they say..."

As of this moment, my new goal in life is to become one of they. Think of it. What would it be like to be part of that mysterious thought governing body, they? Why, they have all the answers. They know everything. They have infinite wit and wisdom. They are, well, THEY.

So, just exactly who are THEY? Did they ever really exist? All that I can find on the subject is that it is an old English expression. If Ben Franklin were still alive I'd ask for the opinion of his Junto Society and see if Ben and friends could figure this out.

It's One of the Great Imponderables

Revisionists will tell you that "They really don't exist." Then, there are the doubters. Like RUSes (rodents of unusual size), "I don't think they exist." Well, I don't care-- I want to be one of they.

If you get the RUS reference, you just might be a prime candidate to be one of THEY. If, however, that reference eludes you, well, it's like they say... one can always hope.

I have to go now... they are waiting.