Friday, March 10, 2017

Start Your Day on A Positive Note

It is always best to start your day on a positive note.

Today is Friday. It is the last day of the business week and it is payday! Now, that's what I call a positive note.

When I lived in the Catskill Mountains, I used to look out the front windows of the resort I managed to see the mist over the river. I'd watch our resident bald eagle get the morning breakfast.

We had white-tailed deer, osprey, heron, beaver, and other wildlife all around us. Between the sights and sounds, it was hard to beat a morning on a wild trout fishery. The sun slowly burned off the morning mist and fishermen started to make their way along the river in search of feeding trout.

I ate breakfast early and opened the pro shop in time for the morning anglers who might wander into the place, but fly fishing is mostly an afternoon and evening activity. You go to the river when the insect activity begins.

On most days, I gently picked my guitar and sipped my morning coffee as I gazed at the water and watched an occasional fish rise. Mornings were tranquil along the West Branch of the Delaware River at the "River's Edge" (later known as the Delaware River Club).

I don't regret leaving the place and returning to Ohio, but, I do miss those river mornings.

When the summer rolls around, I will be out early, pedaling my bicycle and plying through pastoral hills in central Ohio while mist still covers the Big and Little Darby National Scenic River Valley.

Mornings are what you make of them.