Friday, March 31, 2017

Missing A Day's Work is Never Fun

I've never been one for Ferris Bueller's Day Off. For me, missing a day's work is never really fun. If I am not at work, it means that I am really sick.

I worked at the corporate offices of MEI/Micro Center years ago. Four years-- I never missed a day of work. Even in the worst weather, I was always there. In fact, co-workers used to joke around about me sitting in my cubicle in the midst of a nuclear war.

Well, yesterday, I found myself calling in sick for my day-job. Believe me, I did not like doing so, but a cold hit me hard and fast and I wanted to get heavily medicated and sleep as much as possible in order to knock this bad boy out of me in time for planned weekend bike rides.

I am an avid cyclist. It is what I do to stay in shape. I've been hooked on cycling for fifty-four years. I started riding when I was four-years-old and never looked back.

Cycling is one of my passions. It's the gears, the road, the sights and sounds. It's the rolling hills and farmland. I get my kicks on two wheels, plain and simple. I love riding my bicycle and I feel great afterward.

It's Friday morning (1:50 AM) and I plan to be at work at 5:00 AM. I'll be pulling down a ten-hour day. It's my hope that I can work by myself as much as possible and not infect anyone. Simply put, this is a world in which corporations expect employees to show up and be productive regardless of medical issues. It would be great if we were all told to stay home until we are healthy and won't pass our germs around the workplace; alas, that is not likely to happen.

So, in a short time, I will be in the shower and getting dressed for a day at the office. I hope that working and staying busy will help me recover quickly. I also hope that nobody else comes down with this cold, but, that would most likely take divine intervention.

And so it is that I will go to work as usual and just hope for the best for everyone else.

Spring colds are no fun.