Wednesday, November 29, 2017

A Health Body, A Healthy Mind

There is a direct link between thinking you feel great and physically feeling great.

Lots of fitness gurus talk about aerobics or weight training, running, cycling, swimming, or other exercise programs; but, few talk about how you feel emotionally. My contention is that in order to feel good physically, you have to feel good emotionally. For some, it is a spiritual thing. For others, it is psychological.

Whether you look for spiritual understanding for inner peace, or some sort of meditation or philosophy like Buddhism, your body responds to what your mind tells it. When you feel bad on the inside, you cannot possibly maintain a healthy body on the outside.

In order to have long-lasting fitness, you have to cultivate a positive, healthy mindset while you start tuning up your body. It’s the same for losing weight. You must begin with a positive mental attitude and an attainable goal.

If you want to lose one-hundred pounds, for example, you have to clearly state that as your goal– then, break that goal into attainable interim goals of twenty pounds at a time. Each twenty pounds you drop is one more positive step toward the ultimate goal of losing one-hundred pounds.

I set a goal to be in fabulous shape for my sixtieth birthday. I am well on the way. I am working out with dumbbells and seeing really fantastic results in just a couple of months. I’ve gained five inches in my lats. I have gained a lot in my arms, too. The rate I am going, I will not only meet my goal, I will exceed it.

I have always loved cycling and I have kept in shape over the years on my bicycles, but, being a road-bike enthusiast, I have not had the upper body workout that mountain bikers get. Thus, I started weight training to build up my arms, chest, and back muscles.

Over all fitness starts with a good mental attitude. Find a source of recreation that keeps you fit, like swimming or cycling, that will burn away calories and give you a good cardio workout. You can also do stretches to warm up and cool down in order to prevent injury.

What I like about lifting with dumbbells is that it is typically lower weight, relatively inexpensive, and you can easily isolate certain muscle groups and work specifically on those seeing almost immediate results. And it doesn’t feel so much like work. That’s important if you want to continue working out. Most people get tired and quit before they start to see results.

When you get up tomorrow morning tell yourself that it’s going to be a great day. Make a plan to get fit by finding something you can do that will, above all, be FUN and keep you in good shape. Then, if you want to have a muscular body, incorporate a bit of exercise with dumbbells in your overall strategy and stick with it at least until you start to feel the results. That will help you keep going.

Check out the book “Living Room Weight Training: Dumbbell-based exercises and routines for building strength, getting toned, and achieving the body you want at home!” by A.K. Davidson.


In the future, I plan to write more about a total fitness plan for people over fifty-five years old. For now, Just concentrate on fun and fitness.