Thursday, November 30, 2017

Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt

Fear, uncertainty and doubt. I call them the FUD Factor.

Fear of failure causes more procrastination than any other single influence. That is why taking the first step in some new venture is the hardest thing for someone to do. It is the uncertainty– what is the outcome. Will this work? Will I fall flat on my rump? Will I look like a total loser?

Doubt– that’s your imagination running wild. Well, take control of your imagination and stop picturing defeat. Start picturing wild success.

My father used to say “Nothing ventured, nothing gained.” He never ventured. My father was a hard worker, but he was a very slow thinker. Funny, he had a quick wit. He never talked about it, but I have a feeling that he was so insecure that he had to mill things over in his head and rethink every variable before he actually made a decision. Time slipped through his fingers.

My mother was the opposite. Mom was sharp as a tack. In many ways, she still is. She was also quick witted and she was smart. She could solve problems better than the best engineers I’ve known. She was also a great communicator. In addition to her deductive reasoning, she had great reading comprehension. But, she was cynical about most things. For her, the safe route was always the best choice in every situation. Which reminded me of my father saying “Nothing ventured, nothing gained.”

And so it was that I grew up in a home where change came slowly if it came at all. No, we weren’t hobbits, but I could really relate to them.

I guess I was the Bilbo Baggins of my family. I was forever going on one of my adventures. It was that confounded Wizard’s fault.

In reality, I discovered things about risk and the potential reward for stepping outside the house and following my feet. There were always things to discover. There were places to see, things to do, and people to meet. Today, I have fond memories of friends I’ve met along the way. I’ve enjoyed lots of great music, art, and artistry. I’ve seen some of the most beautiful terrain ever put on a map. I’ve followed the sunset and soared through the Milky Way at midnight.


It’s all because I followed my passions.


Lower Falls, Old Man's Cave - Hocking State Forest, Ohio - Mickey Maguire Photo