Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Start the Day with Music

I have been a musician for over five decades. My favorite way to begin a new day is softly playing music on my guitar. It sets the mood for the rest of my day.

Music has always been an important part of my life. It will likely remain that way.

I grew up in a musical family. Every gathering would be an occasion to make music. We sang classic old Irving Berlin tunes in close harmony. It was listening to my father’s family that really taught me how to harmonize to any melody. Boy, could those folks sing.

My mother’s family had musical talent, too. Mom was a songwriter with a Nashville contract. Her brother, my Uncle Bob, and my father would sing old songs in harmony. I loved when Uncle Bob came to visit us when he was home on leave from the US Navy. He and dad would sing and I’d listen closely. My Uncle had a gift for finding harmonies out of thin air and I inherited it, too.

At five years old I was singing with my two brothers and pulling harmonies out of thin air myself. It was a real turn-on for me to hear us hit a perfect chord. I just loved it.

By the time I was teaching fly fishing in the Catskill Mountains, I had written a bunch of songs and played guitar for twenty years. The other fly fishing instructors were all musicians, too. We sat around in the evening and played guitar. One of us would start a song and everyone would fall right in. Most of those guys could not harmonize, so, I would when I was not the one leading the song.
On those crisp mornings on the river, I got the coffee pot brewing and then grabbed my guitar and started playing something light, finger-picking style. I’d just enjoy the mood and sip coffee until it was time to head for breakfast.

Now, it’s time for me to get the guitar and recreate one of those river mornings. I’m in the mood for music.

Start your day on a positive note. No pun intended. Do something you love first thing in the morning and you’ll set the mood for the whole day.

Cheers.