Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Snow, Snow, Snow

I woke up this morning to a fresh blanket of snow. The ground is white.

My thoughts wander to the commute to work and what the traffic will be like. Safety is always foremost in my mind when winter storms hit. I'd love to have the sort of day-gig that allows me to stay at home on such occasions. Too bad that is not the case.

This reminds me of a similar situation I had years ago. During that storm, I wrote this poem and posted it on my blog. I am going to post it here, now.

Snow

by Mickey Maguire

Snow is softly falling
past my window to the ground
Each flake a thing of beauty
that lands without a sound

The meadow is now covered
in a blanket colored white
It glistens like a crystal dish
sparkling in the night

When the storm, at last, is gone
and the moon is shining bright
Trees encased in icy coats
make for an awesome sight

I do not have the time to sit
and savor winter's beauty
I am reminded by the clock
that I must do my duty

For when the day commences
and I must venture out
the snow and ice will hinder me
along my chosen route

I've little time and won't enjoy
the beauty of the snow
In truth it's not so beautiful
when off to work I go