Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Gotta Love Vacation Days

I am home from work today. I took some vacation time in order to recover from a cold rather than work and spread the illness around the workplace.

In the old days, it was easier for people to stay home when they were sick. Basic expenses were not as high as they are today and the dollar had more buying power. Sadly, I doubt that we will ever see the types of incomes that factory workers used to enjoy in the glory days, post WWII.

I remember when I paid 25 cents for a loaf of bread and I filled my gas tank on $3.00 (I had a 1968 Dodge Dart back then). My first brand new car was a 1978 Plymouth Arrow. Boy, did I love that car. It cost me $4995 out the door. Let's see you buy a nice sports coupe for that price these days!

No, those days are gone.

We have a lot of techno-gadgets. We have more computing power in the average cell phone than the first Apple MAC computer. But, we can't seem to make living more affordable, in spite of all this technological advancement.

Are we really better off today?

If we are, then why are so many people clinically depressed?

Why have so many businesses that were successful for decades filed for bankruptcy protection?

I'll tell you what went wrong. We have technology. We have modern math and science. We have decades of experience. But COMMON SENSE just ain't common anymore.

Let's bring back a little home-spun wisdom and see if we can straighten out this mess before the end of another year.