Monday, January 15, 2018

The Power of Music

Music, it is said, soothes the soul. Music soothes the savage beast. Music is the highest, most passion-filled form of expression.

Much of who and what I am today can be attributed to music. I'd say that it is a combination of listening to artists like John Denver, writing songs, performing on stage, jamming with friends and family. In short, I have been surrounded by musicians and entertainers throughout most of my life.

When I was very young I would sing with my two brothers. My father's family often sang together in harmony. My mother's brother would visit from time to time and he would sing old songs with my father, again, in harmony. 

I loved singing in harmony and somehow, without any formal lessons, I learned how to pull harmonies out of thin air. I could just hear them in my head and sing them. With my two brothers, I could always find harmonies to sing. Now, my younger brother is good with that, too. 

I prefer lyrical music. I love songs that tell stories. I love songs about life, feelings, love, happiness, and, of course, sad times. Music heals us when we need it. It stimulates us when we need encouragement. If you have something to say, and you can say it with music, there is nothing better (poetry is good, too, but music is so much more powerful).

John Denver was, in my opinion, the best songwriter of the 20th century. When he died lots of people had feelings of emptiness. His music meant so much to so many people that I am still amazed by it.

I've been sick since just after the Christmas holiday. I am still fighting off a cold that stubbornly remains in one form or another. Right now, it is the stuffy head and drainage that plagues me. But, I am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. This is the worst cold I've had since the 1980s and I am ready to move on... so, get with it immune system.

Last night I picked up my guitar for the first time since December 23rd when I played guitar at my wife's family gathering in Cincinnati, Ohio. I played it just for a few minutes, but, it was nice. With the cold, I was just not feeling up to playing. Still, last night, I was not ready to sing.

One thing is certain, though, as I lightly played and my wife stood nearby talking to me, my heart was soaring as I looked at her knowing the love she has for me.

I wrote a song for Mary Rose and sang it at our wedding. I can't think of a better way to say "I love you" than with song.

Here is that song: