Tuesday, January 9, 2018

We're Having A Heat Wave

We're having a heat wave. It's finally in the thirties in Mid Ohio. We've had over a week of single-digit temperatures and wind chills as low as -20 degrees. Seeing 32 degrees on the thermometer this morning is a welcomed sight.

Every year in Columbus there is at least one week of sixty degree weather in either January or February. I am more than ready for it.

During this frigid weather I found it hard to do my morning workout. In the midst of it all I came down with the worst cold I have had since the 1980s. You read that right. Sinus headaches and stuffy nose issues aside, I still had an healthy appetite and I was still able to concentrate on business aside from the day gig.

I took time away from the day job in order to recover from the cold, but being the creative type, I did not sit idle. My wife and I set about planning a new business venture based on what I did years ago when I freelanced as both a graphic artist and a copywriter. I won't share any details at the moment, but, if things go like they did in the 1980s and 90s, it will be very lucrative.

It is important to always keep a positive attitude and keep your mind busy, even when you are sick and staying home from your day job.

The Future Belongs to Creatives


It is true that the future belongs to creative people. In the so-called "gig economy" the people who succeed will be the ones who can offer their professional services in addition to having the security of a day job. When a business becomes lucrative enough to go full-time, the lucky freelancer can start to really concentrate of growing their business.

There are multitudes of ways that people can start a small side income while continuing to work a day job until they can go full-time. You can start by assessing what it is you are capable of doing and figuring out how you can either create a need for it or monetize it in some form or another.

Now is the time to be creative.

Plan your future today.