Friday, April 15, 2016

I Wonder Therefore I Am

Wonder is the beginning of wisdom. ~Socrates

 Ah, Socrates, smart fellow.

What always fascinated me about little kids is that they are sponges. They come into this world having no hair, or little of it, no teeth, naked, unable to fend for themselves, tied to their mother with a cord-- and curious about everything. Literally, every minute of every day is a learning experience for a newborn.

When I was a small child I wanted to see how everything worked. I had an insatiable appetite for understanding. I was curious about everything I saw in nature. I learned about mechanical things by taking them apart and putting them together again, and I was good at it, too.

When I got older I started observing people and learning what makes them tick. It is THAT curiosity that made me a better business manager. It is that same curiosity that makes great sales people. It is that same quality that turns someone into a great marketer. It all starts with curiosity.

The more you know and understand people, the better your changes of becoming a success in this world.

People are strange. Some remain curious their whole life. Some have no sense of curiosity when they reach adulthood. My guess is that the people who remain forever curious are the ones most likely to succeed. They are the explorers, the scientists, the entrepreneurs. They are the marketing geniuses and the sales gurus. They are the leaders who inspire an entire nation.

Be Curious. Don't ever lose that child-like enthusiasm for learning.