Monday, April 18, 2016

Work Hard, Play Hard

As passionate as I am about working, I am even more passionate about playing-- here's why: Work has its ups and downs. If your job is stressful, or you have the kind of job where you are at a desk most of the day, play time can give you a chance to blow-off steam and keep fit.

I have met lots of people in the forty years that I have worked. I worked myself into business management early in my career and I've had to direct a lot of people. I always make it a point to get to know them. I see their strengths and weaknesses and I can work with their strengths and strengthen their weaknesses. They become more productive and feel better about themselves.

It amazes me how many of those people with whom I have worked over the years had no hobbies or interests. The older ones watched sports on television. The younger ones seemed to spend most of their time off work playing video games.

I've witnessed countless times when an employee joined a gym with the idea of working out and getting in shape to look like they did when they played football in college or something similar. After a short time and a few trips to the gym, they are into their old routine and just as out-of-shape as ever. What they need is a good healthy hobby that will get them in shape and keep them that way-- like cycling.

The perfect recreational activity is one that burns off excess weight and entertains you at the same time. Why? Because working out is too much like work. People quit working out as fast as they decided to start.

Of course, the best way to get in shape is eat right-- good, nutritional food in modest portions. Get plenty of exercise, like cycling, hiking, swimming, or other physical activity that serves as recreation and a work out. Get enough sleep for your body. Some people require more sleep than others, but too much is not good.

Protect your heart by cutting sodium intake. As much as possible, eat fresh produce and whole grains and stay away from processed food. Make sure that you take a good multi-vitamin.

Get lots of healthy sunshine, early and late in the day is better than the heat of day. Drink plenty of water. And SMILE.