Friday, March 25, 2016

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

A person who sets his or her mind on the dark side of life, who lives over and over the misfortunes and disappointments of the past, prays for similar misfortunes and disappointments in the future. If you will see nothing but ill luck in the future, you are praying for such ill luck and will surely get it. ~Prentice Mulford

I used to read lots of news stories and watched the news on television. Most of the conversation I would hear among friends and family centered around current events and other top news stories. Then I realized...

Prentice Mulford was right. Thoughts become things. Your thoughts are things and circumstances in the making. By Dwelling on all of the negativity we see and hear in the news, more of the same is a self-fulfilling prophesy.

When I first started looking away from the news and the trash that mainstream media was spoon-feeding the populace, things started happening. I became more productive. I was focused on positive thoughts, not negative. I became happier (well, I was a pretty happy guy from the start, but, negative thoughts and cynicism eventually taints you). I made it a mission to fill my head with edifying thoughts and positive mental images.

People who constantly dwell on their misfortunes seem to attract more of the same.

Today, I skim the headlines to see if there is a news story that I should read-- just to be aware of what is going on around me, but, I spend very little time on it. The things that get my attention are those which edify, those that are profitable to me.

Once you break the news habit, you will be amazed at how much your outlook improves. When you see riots in Baltimore or Ferguson, ask yourself this: What can I do about it? Nothing? Well, don't concern yourself with it. When you find that you CAN do something about something in the news, then, give it some time and energy. Most of the time you will find that dwelling on these things only saps you of precious time and poisons your attitude.

That's when it's best to look the other way.