Saturday, March 12, 2016

Why Are You Here?

I have been asked that many times in the past. Funny, it is not something I’d expect to be asked by people at work, but I have been asked that with amazing frequency.

I have a day job with a 500 million dollar high-tech company. I am, by day, an inventory analyst in a corporation serving some of the biggest names in the tech world– along with other companies. I enjoy the job and my hours leave me plenty of time to do what I love– writing books, publishing a music magazine, playing music, working on photography, just to name a few.

The day gig is all about health benefits, and besides, I love what I am doing. Furthermore, it is really great to have a steady income. That way, anything else I make is money that can be used for recreational activities, savings, etc…

Peace of Mind is one of the most important reasons for someone to take a particular job or pursue a career path. If you don’t enjoy it, though, find something else to do. In my case, I enjoy the day job and it covers all the basic monthly expenses. More importantly, it provides health insurance and that came in handy last December when I was diagnosed with colon cancer.

The good news is that the cancer is gone completely, but the bills are just now coming in, and lucky for me, I have a pretty good health insurance plan– thanks to the day job.

One of our engineers at work asked me one day, “Why are you here?”

Richard, the engineer, was diagnosed with cancer. He is a brilliant man and has two beautiful daughters. At the time Richard asked me, I told him that I enjoy my job and… “This is my health insurance.”

Richard is on medical leave now, and has been for quite some time. I think about him virtually every day. I don’t know how he is doing, but I wish he were in perfect health once again. Meeting people like Richard is one of the benefits of having a day job. I admired his devotion to the job and his database knowledge is uncanny. I have missed him since he has been on medical leave.

Ask yourself, “Why Am I here?” If you don’t know, or being “here” does not make you happy, maybe it is time to change your circumstances.

As for me, I enjoy what I am doing. As long as there is “inventory” to be “controlled”, I will have a job– if I want it. And right now, I do. Oh, yes, I have plenty of other work to do if I want to work for myself full-time, but, have you priced insurance lately?