Saturday, March 12, 2016

Motivation Is the Key to Success

Motivation is the key to success. Many leaders and teachers of the past spent years trying to figure out how to motivate people.

I was raised in a family of five– two parents, two brothers and me. My father was an Ivy League grad with a degree in engineering. My mother was raised in Columbus, Ohio and became a home-maker. That was long before people thought that home-makers were some-how lazy or unmotivated.

My father was really not the motivated one in our house. My mother, on the other hand, was driven to succeed. She was tenacious. She was smart. She kept a spotless house. You could eat off the floors if you wanted to do so– really, they were immaculate. Just about everything my mother sought to accomplish, she did perfectly.

“The boys” were all different. We had different personalities, different talents, different motivations. We had some talents that we shared– singing, for example– we could really harmonize. We were all three musically inclined. I inherited the songwriting talent and artistic talent from my mother. My younger brother is the actor, the showman, he can get anyone to laugh. My older brother worked his way into business management and never looked back.

Even though I am an artist, I have had many years of management experience. My motivation has always been a job well-done. I keep my priorities in order and I manage people well. I believe that surrounding yourself with motivated people will help your business thrive. That positive energy spreads among your employees. When you have the right people on-board, success is almost guaranteed.

If you find yourself surrounded by unmotivated people, you are doomed to fail. Most people are motivated only enough to stay employed. They do what they must to keep the job– no more, no less. Others don’t really want to work. Neither of these two categories will help your business thrive.

Who are the right people and who are the wrong people? How can you tell the difference?

Stay Tuned…