Saturday, March 19, 2016

Just how much time do we have in a day?

Earlier today, Jane Pleiman Helbling asked me how I find the time to "master" so many different things. Jane and my father-in-law have been together for several years, now. In that time, she has heard of my various artistic pursuits, writing, musical projects, photography and more... so, this question was one of amazement, not sarcasm. Well, that started me thinking.

Just how much time do we have in a day?

The average person sleeps eight hours a day, works eight hours a day, and has the remaining hours for play time, or does he (or she)?

In my case, I take thirty minutes each way to and from work. That kills an hour. I also figure about one and one-half hours for meals (but how much time is spent in prep?). How about an half-hour in bathroom activities (including shower and shave).

Let's figure what an average person has available...

8 hrs ...sleep
8 hrs ...work
1 hr ....travel time
1.5 hrs ...meals
.5 hours ...restroom

19 hours used (five remaining in a 24 hour day).

Now, I am lucky. I sleep five hours on an average day. I do work four ten-hour days in a week (Monday-Thursday). That gives me less time during those days, but, I have Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off. That gives me 72 hours of almost totally free time. I can use that toward fulfillment of my goals.

If you take the average person and the formula above (five-day work week, eight-hours a day), any time you use watching television is time gone forever. How much time do you need to accomplish your goals?

Mary Rose and I took most of the afternoon, yesterday, and went to Cedar Falls in the Hocking State Forest. That time was well-spent, but, it was spent, after all. I did take some pictures that might be sold in a gallery at some point, so, I would consider my day productive, but, this is time I cannot play music, or write an article, or accomplish anything else.

So, ask yourself, How do I spend my time?

Remember that recreation time is valuable as well as time for industry. Without play-time, you can lose motivation, you can lose focus, you start to live an unsustainable life. So, each day becomes a matter of priorities.

In the end, it is all about achieving happiness and living a rich and rewarding life.