Sunday, March 13, 2016

Wisdom of the Ages

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think. ~Socrates

Ah, the wisdom of the ages. Does it strike anyone as funny that Socrates, one of the greatest minds of all time, said that he could not teach anyone-- only make them think; while today, academics spend all of their time teaching impressionable kids HOW TO THINK.

Socrates said, "To find yourself, think for yourself."

Like the Oracle at Delphi (Know thyself), Socrates believed that to truly understand yourself, you had to think for yourself.

At one time, the goal of schools was to teach students to think-- not how to think. The former is called learning. The latter is called indoctrination.

When I look around me, I see a world filled with conflict. I see a world of dichotomy. We have thousands of books filled with advice on how to make the most of life, how to find happiness. People read them with the thirst of a camel at an oasis, but, they don't digest them.

We have every convenience, every luxury, and people, everywhere, are taking anti-depressant drugs.

As if we cannot survive in a world of germs, we now have anti-bacterial soaps everywhere and staph-infection is a problem in innumerable hospitals. Why do we need anti-bacterial soap after inhabiting the Earth for centuries without it? Because we are told we NEED it. That's why. I DON'T WANT IT.

Socrates was right, he could not teach anyone. But now that nobody is teaching people to think, civilization is on the decline.

--Just for the record, no, I am not on medication.