Monday, March 14, 2016

Personal Branding

We read a lot of opinions about "personal branding" these days. 

Some people, like Dan Kennedy, think it's a bunch of hooey. Other people are big advocates of the idea. I think that there is more to it than meets the eye.

I have a photo business card that was custom-made with the same image I wish to convey to any client who might ask me to speak to his or her organization on positive thinking, business management, and motivation.

My image has been carefully constructed to reflect several things about me. First, I am Irish. The look fits the name. Second, I value timeless principles. Third, I make sure that I appear disciplined and cultured. There is a sense of refinement in little things, like the pocket watch, the right ink pen, the right hat and shoes. It all shows careful planning. In short, I make an effort to be memorable.

So what image do you want emblazoned on your website? What picture do you want lingering in the mind of people you meet?

My wife and I know of one business owner who has been known to speak at tech-industry events wearing a T-shirt, shorts, and Crocs. Oh, he'll be remembered alright, but not in a good way.


Remember, you have but one chance to make a good first impression. Knowing that, make every effort to craft a lasting one.